SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review: My Story by Elizabeth Smart

11.25.2013

“I am alive, but I’m not living, I remember thinking as I walked. I am the living dead. I am nothing but a shell.” 

-Elizabeth Smart, My Story 

Summary (from amazon books): On June 5, 2002, fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Smart, the daughter of a close-knit Mormon family, was taken from her home in the middle of the night by religious fanatic, Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee. She was kept chained, dressed in disguise, repeatedly raped, and told she and her family would be killed if she tried to escape. After her rescue on March 12, 2003, she rejoined her family and worked to pick up the pieces of her life.

Now for the first time, in her memoir, MY STORY, she tells of the constant fear she endured every hour, her courageous determination to maintain hope, and how she devised a plan to manipulate her captors and convinced them to return to Utah, where she was rescued minutes after arriving.  Smart explains how her faith helped her stay sane in the midst of a nightmare and how she found the strength to confront her captors at their trial and see that justice was served.

What I thought: 

 I wasn't even sure what to expect going into this book. I just remember being a little girl when she was taken from my hometown and being terrified that I might be kidnaped. I couldn't decide if I even wanted to read this story but I was so invested in it when it happened that I felt like I needed to. I found the book to be interesting but poorly written. I found Elizabeths strength and hope to be inspiring. She does not go into any detail about her physical abuse, to which I am grateful for, and at no point are you subjected to any of the gruesome details that happened to her. As you embark on her horrific journey you realize how articulate and precise her memory is. She can account for things in great detail. I always had a hard time understanding why she didn't escape when she had the few opportunities to. After reading the book she explains how fear takes over for all senses and she was simply to scared for what might happen to her family. If you overlook the writing the story is phenomenal and inspiring. 



8 comments :

  1. It's a shame such a powerful story is not well written. I would be on the fence to read it too, until I read your review that there are no gruesome details. Thank you for the write-up! And thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is so unfortunate it wasn't written better. Hope you get some time to read it!

      xo

      Delete
  2. I agree with above -- a shame when good stories aren't told the way they should be. Sounds interesting nonetheless.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following back :) Looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for suggesting it. I will give it a whirl . Thanks my friend. Wishing you a blessed thanksgiving .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog!
    I am now following! I look forward to keeping up !

    xo
    Christina
    http://www.christinawhoblog.com

    ReplyDelete