SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling

10.11.2013
“How easy it was to capitalize on a person’s own bent for self-destruction; how simple to nudge them into non-being, then to stand back and shrug and agree that it had been the inevitable result of a chaotic, catastrophic life.”
―  Robert Galbraith, The Cuckoo's Calling
The Cuckoo’s calling is a crime fiction novel by J.K. Rowling, published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith (that sneaky lady.)
Summary (without giving anything away):
After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.
What I thought:
This was my first crime fiction novel EVER. They aren’t usually my thing but since it was J.K. Rowling I wanted to try it. J.K. Rowling filled by childhood with magic. I was skeptical going into it because I couldn’t finish her adult novel Casual Vacancy. The writing and the story was hard to follow and didn’t draw me in. Overall I "liked" Cuckoo’s Calling, I didn’t love it but I enjoyed it. It was interesting, there were twists and the characters were complex. However I had a hard time once I hit the middle of the book. I felt like it was going nowhere. It was to the point where you can barley finish a chapter without your mind wondering. I pushed through and luckily it picked back up again. By the end I was drawn back in and ended up finishing the book.
I have noticed with J.K.’s adult novels they are tediously descriptive and a bit old fashioned. I read both of her adult novels with the hope that I would be drawn in just like the Potter series. For me, that was not the case. Luckily I pushed through Cuckoo’s calling and was able to finish it.
Just FYI the ending was thrilling!
Next up on the list for book club:
Dark Places  


2 comments :

  1. Beautiful pictures, looks like you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What i really love about j k Rowling is how full of emotions her books are. Nothing sleazy or superficial in her debut work of crime fiction. Totally engrossing. As always, you can almost see all the characters....in all their complexity. And the language is delightful too. Must buy.

    ReplyDelete